This easily feeds a family of four
- 500g approx Diced beef 'tip get your butcher to cut the meat infront of you from the shoulder joint this will result in fresher meat and larger chunks of beef '
- 2 tablespoons of flour to dust the beef
- 2 Large diced red onions
- 8 halfed cherry tomatoes
- 2 beef oxo cubes for beef stock
- 224g Self raising flour
- 112g vegetable suet
- 100ml water
- Oven proof dish with a lid
- Dice the onions first then fry in some hot oil in a frying pan until soft. Remi haveove from pan and add to the oven proof dish you will cook the pie in.
- Roll the diced beef in some plain flour salt and pepper
- Add the beef to the same pan you used for the onion and fry until light brown
- While beef is browning cut the cherry tomatoes in half and add to the onions
- When the beef is brown add to the onions and tomatoes and cover with beef stock made from the 2 beef stock cubes
- Cover the dish with tin foil first then place the lid on and put in the oven @ 150*c for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours pending the size of the diced beef.
- The crust only needs to be made just before the pie filling is cooked
- To make the crust; mix the flour and suet together along with some salt and pepper.
- Then add 3/4 of the water to begin with, see how wet the mixture is. Your aiming for a moist yet pliable texure that is easily rolled out.
- Roll the suet crust to 1 inch thick
- When the beef is cooked take out of the oven and roll the crust on the top and brush with some milk
- Cook until the pie crust is golden brown all over.
- Serve with any vegetables you want but I love mashed potato for sure